A dietary supplement, also known as a food supplement or nutritional supplement, is a preparation intended to supplement a diet and provide nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, fatty acids, or amino acids that may be missing or may not be consumed in sufficient quantities in a person’s diet.
While training and diet will make up the most of ones progress, and if you nail them both the gains are sure to follow. Even with all that effort, you’ll be selling yourself short if you don’t add in the proper supplementation. This is the final piece to the puzzle that will set you apart from the rest of the pack. When looking at supplement consumption follow the following 5 rules.
1. Try to avoid stimulant-based products pre-workout when you are trying to grow. Stimulants like caffeine restrict blood flow and kill your pump. They can also screw up your sleep pattern and ruin your appetite. While you will feel that extra energy at the gym, your muscle will suffer from it. You will not grow if you’re not getting enough sleep in your days.
2. Branded-chain acids are great for building muscle. Try to consume 5-10 grams of pure BCAAs three times per day: pre-workout, post-workout and before bed.
3. Calorie intake is extremely important if you’re not getting enough calories from your food, and then drink the rest from a weight gainer or protein shake. Weight-gaining shakes have a place, but don’t depend on them. Whole foods should always be the primary source of calories.
4. Creatine should be part of any muscle-building plan. Five grams per day is perfect for cell volumization and strength boost.
5. A fast-acting carbohydrate drink post-workout will spike insulin levels and aid in the nutrient transport. Your creatine and BCAAs will get to the muscles quicker to start the repairing and building.
In a Primer on Dietary Carbohydrates – Part 1, I took a brief look at what carbohydrates are and listed the three primary categories of dietary carbohydrates which are monosaccharides, oligosaccharides and polysaccharides. As well, I looked in some detail at the monosaccharides (simple sugars) which are glucose (dextrose), fructose and galactose. Today, I want [...]
First of all, there is no way to get rid of pimples and dark spots within a day. Your friends may give you a lot of advice, including popping the pimple. However, this can lead to formation of even more pimples, just worsening the problem!Also, any hasty action will damage the skin, leading to the [...]
Curried Lentil Soup Ingredients: 1 Tb. Olive oil 1 Cup of onion, chopped 2 Garlic cloves, crushed 2 Tbs. Curry powder 2 14-½ ounce cans fat free Reduced fat sodium chicken broth Prep cooking time: 55 minutes 2 ½ cups water2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped2 cups of lentils, uncooked1 cup carrots, finely chopped½ cup red [...]
Brides-to-be looking to shed that final 10, 15 or 20 pounds in order to fit into their dream wedding gown have taken a controversial approach to crash dieting that involves inserting a feeding tube into their noses for up to 10 days for a quick fix to rapid weight loss. The K-E diet, which boasts [...]
Most of us, so conditioned to think that youth is the only desirable stage of a woman’s life, dread the sound of menopause: the change of life. You’re no less woman because your body stops ovulating and producing the hormones called estrogen and progesterone. Each woman has different symptoms; some start early, at age forty, [...]
Improving grip strength by using a hand towel
You can roll it into a cylinder that you can't quite reach all the way around, then just squeeze it 12-15 times, rest and repeat 3...
What exactly is Metabolism?
Metabolism is the rate at which your body uses energy, or, burns calories. Your resting metabolism measures the number of calories...
Do I have to be a member at a health club to get fit?
If you hate commuting to your health club after commuting to work, or a health club membership is too expensive, you can still get...
How do I monitor my heart rate during aerobics exercises?
Learn how to monitor your resting heart rate. This is the rate your heart is pumping when you are sleeping or sitting. It indicate...
What are the pros and cons of weight training?
As to any exercise there are the pros and the cons, the advantage and disadvantages. When it comes to weight training the first di...
Unhealthy four habits
According to a study published in the April 26 issue of Archives of Internal Medicine by Elizabeth Kvaavik titled "Influence of In...
TRAINING: Twice a day Monday-Friday and once on Saturday... Usually conditioning and technique in the morning and sparring at nigh...
London Olympics 2012 Schedule
The London Olympics have already kicked off as the soccer tournament is underway, but things can't truly start until the opening c...
Blast Fat and Hardcore 40:Shredded in 40 Days
Program Pillar #1: Fuel (Food)Cycling carbs is an effective fat-burning strategy. The Hardcore 40 diet utilizes a zig-zagging, o...
We know this is a site dedicated to powders but sometimes protein mixes double in effectiveness when stacked with the right supple...